Old April 3rd 11, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default To Ott or not to Ott?

Sometimes it is not the origins, nor the intentions behind what you say,
it is how somebody takes it. When more people take it badly than take it
as you might have meant, it is time to find a different thing to say. It
does vary regionally as to how folk might take a thing, that is part of
what makes travel interesting.
My DH grew up with that phrase in common usage and never thought about
using it. Until the day he used it when talking to a black man. He got
himself an earful and a half. I tell you true, it is a darn good thing
for him that that happened in my presence and I got to see his
bewilderment and then dawning understanding, because otherwise I never
would have gone out with him when he finally asked.

Now his people did give him some phrases I am rather fond of. I kind of
like "Colder than the great blue balls of Pluto!" for example. He likes
"Himmel und pancaka!"(1), and "Lache pas la patate!"(2) from my side.

Links talking about the original phrase in question:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_b...sages/670.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8105504AAgBjH4
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...ite%20of%20you

NightMist

(1) A Pennsylvania expression. Heaven and pancakes! Sort of an
intensified "Oh my gosh!"
(2) A Canadian expression. Hold on to the potato! Mostly means don't
wimp out on this. (3)
(3) Do NOT hold me responsible for the sartorially correct translation or
spelling of phrases in foreign languages that have passed through several
generations of backwoods US families.

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 14:52:03 -0700, Taria wrote:

I looked around some more for this one.
http://www.quotemountain.com/sayings/southern_sayings/ I found some
references to asian women and white men. I don't see anything relating
to other races. I have noticed anything with any words relating to
colors are often taken up as racist even when that isn't the intention.
The yellow line in LA last year is a good example. Taria

"Sunny" wrote in message

Polly, NM is right about the origins of that phrase. The implication is
that the infamous 'N' word is in play and that your actions would be
the opposite of the actions of those to whom that infamous word would
apply. I know, nobody ever explained that. Now I hear all kinds of
people using the phrase 'like white on rice' and wonder if they don't
understand the origins of that saying, which are very similar and have
little to nothing to do with the color of rice in general or specific.
Just sayin'.

As for Ott light bulbs ... I can't use them, but love the Reveal lights
for their good, soft white light.

Sunny
My southern roots run deeper than kudzu

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?