Old April 3rd 11, 08:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default To Ott or not to Ott?

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 23:41:03 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:

There's an Ott floor lamp beside my SM and don't even think about trying
to take it away from me. But . . . I am blessed a couple of times a week
with a friend or two who come and stitch with me for Newborns in Need.
The 'guest' SM has a dismal, cute, trendy, pretty much worthless pole
lamp beside it. I'm thinking it would be 'mighty white' (wonder where
that expression came from?) of me to buy another Ott for the dear folks
who join in here. My question ( do I ever get to the point?) is: Has
anyone found something just as great as the Ott at a better price - or -
found the best price for an Ott? Polly

Uh, Miz Polly? If you genuinely do not know the origins of that phrase
may I suggest that you probably do not want to, and might want to
strongly consider dropping it from your conversation. It would likely be
considered wildly offensive in the wrong company. I know it always makes
me growl a little even when I know it is not being used in an ill
intentioned way.

Now here is a tip on Ott lamps, if you go out and buy a replacement bulb
you can fit it into a like wattage halogen lamp of any sort. The bulb is
the thing. I have an end-of-clearance $3 desk style halogen lamp that is
sporting a $25 bought at the art store 13 watt ott bulb. Works just fine
for all that the bulb cost 8 times what the lamp did. You just have to
look at the bulb you want to put in the lamp and make sure you get a lamp
with the right socket thingie.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?