Old June 30th 05, 11:58 PM
Arri London

Trish Brown wrote:

Arri London wrote:

rolled hems on the machine!

Any tips for starting and ending the hems so they aren't lumpy, please?
In between the start and end the hems come out very nicely...

TIA

The very best success I've had is to start the RH a little way from the
end (say, half an inch) and then needleturn it by hand when the machined
hem is completed. If you sew off the end of the fabric, there's no
reason for the opposite end to become lumpy: you can use a long pin
(quilter's pin) to guide the fabric into the RH foot.

With practice, rolled hems are very easy to do, but having said that, I
can honestly say it's the important or in-a-hurry one that'll go wrong
for you *every* time! =:-0

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia

TY. Yes been practising on the soft muslin so I don't waste my nice
silk. The hem is indeed easy...it's the start and stop that are
difficult LOL.