Old March 23rd 04, 06:23 PM
dkat

I've been reading this thread and decided to add 2cents....

I see the commercial as showing the naive young man with noble thoughts of
living a life with no monetary rewards so that he can "live" his craft, who
is moved quickly into "adulthood" with the realization of what money can buy
when he "falls" for the beautiful vehicle. It is meant to be amusing for
the "older" types who can afford this vehicle and that can now look down on
that idealistic "youngster".

Now I personally think it is a load of crap and points to exactly what is
wrong with our overconsuming society but then I'm not their audience and
there really isn't anything they could show that would win me over. My
guess is it works quite well on those they intend it for.

DKat

"MIKandCOL" wrote in message
Have you seen the land rover commercial where a couple guys are walking

along
the road hitchiking? One of the guys says his goal in life is to work

with
ceramics and pottery. A land rover picks them up and suddenly the guy

changes
his mind, thinking he would like to have a luxurious and obviously

expensive
land rover someday.

When I first saw this I was offended that the land rover company would put

down
people with an interest in ceramics, but then I must admit that only a

minority
of people make their living this way. I used to joke in college that I

was
taking "underwater basketweaving" meaning some degrees are essentially

useless
in the real world. Is this the way society in america views ceramics?

Since I do ceramics only for enjoyment, perhaps I should not be so

critical

- Mike