Old October 9th 05, 03:19 PM
MRH

Thank you, Christine, and all the rest of you who got into this discussion.
)

It all depends then on how you heard / learned the word while growing up. I
know in our house we always had Reynolds Aluminum Foil, and we always said
(and heard others in our area say) A-loom-in-um. This was (aluminum) also
the way we learned to spell it at school. To each his/her own! ;o)

Oh, Norma... I had never actually even heard the word leftenant until I saw
a war movie and heard the British people saying it. I had always heard
lieutenant. Maybe my ears only hear(d) in American when it came to some
words? LOL

I know that I grew up spelling colour with a U in there, but somewhere along
the way in school I was taught that in the US they don't put the U in the
word. Now I spell it either way... but I still spell it coloUr most times!

Peace!
Gemini
- differences make us unique and interesting. ;o)

" Christine in Kent, Garden of England"
wrote in message
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium
This will hopefully explain all, and to be honest I've never seen it spelt
without 2 i's, but when I read the Wikipedia article it all became clear
(ish!)
Love Christine

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

" Christine in Kent, Garden of England"
wrote in message
Yes that's how we say it, and actually we don't put an *extra* "i" in
the
word, we just pronounce all the letters that are there. Aren't all our
differences what make the world a more interesting place?
Love Christine

Okay I gotta ask this - if I'm understanding you correctly - you say
AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM??? The word is spelled A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M. As a
Canadian,
I learned to pronounce it A-LOOM-IN-UM. We are also pronouncing all the
letters that are there, without the EE, which is the non existant "i".
Scratching my head. Can you help me understand? (laugh)

Shelagh