Old October 9th 05, 01:21 PM
Yarn Forward

Shillelagh wrote:

Okay I gotta ask this - if I'm understanding you correctly - you say
AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM??? The word is spelled A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M. As a Canadian,
I learned to pronounce it A-LOOM-IN-UM.

For the benefit of the Canadians amongst us, Alcan, the Canadian
Aluminum company, and one of the largest producers of aluminum in the
world, was known legally as

Alcan AluminIUM Inc., until 2000 when it changed its name to Alcan Inc.

When in the UK, I always spelt it with IUM and this seems to be a commom
ending for chemical elements such as barium, cadmium, strontium, cesium,
..... What is "right" or "wrong" is a debate that can on for ever. The
English language evolves by usage, not by dictate, so the will of the
masses will eventually win out.

Roger.