Old March 10th 17, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

Default cross stitch lovers: to grid or not to grid?

In case anyone is curious about the MagEyes, I thought I'd update you on what I think about them. I'm so impressed! They don't grip my head too hard like other headband style magnifiers, and so they didn't give me a headache at all. This is the first "around the head" style I've been able to wear without getting a migraine.

I'm also impressed that they didn't give me any eyestrain, even after a couple hours of stitching. I haven't been able to watch TV while stitching for years...other forms of magnifiers made it impossible to switch between the the close vision of stitching to the distance vision of TV. Since the MagEyes sits several inches away from your regular glasses, it only magnifies your work...you can easily look up and focus on the TV or people. I watched two episodes of Big Little Lies while stitching and had zero eyestrain. This is worth a bit of celebration!

They have several different lenses you can fit into the head frame. I've found the #2 & #4 lenses most useful for stitching as the magnification is moderate. I also have the #5 & #7 lenses which are quite strong and they're great for seed beading, but I find them a bit too much for stitching.

The only downside: they do look a little weird on your head, and I think I might be a bit self conscious stitching in public with such a contraption on my head. Fortunately I mostly stitch at home.

If anyone is having eye troubles, I do really recommend the MagEyes...I wish I'd discovered them years ago.

PS No, I'm not affiliated with the company.