Old March 5th 17, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default cross stitch lovers: to grid or not to grid?

On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 06:35:02 -0800 (PST), Violet Stitches
wrote:

I felt quite distressed the other day, I was in a shop called Winners
and there was this lovely beaded cushion. Had to have been hand work
and it was less than $20 and I had to wonder how much the woman (most
probably a woman or girl) had been paid

This happens a lot to me too. My mother is a ceramic artist and can't believe how cheaply they can sell ceramics at stores. People have no idea the time and effort that goes into this stuff.

Awhile ago I was considering opening an etsy store, but the bottom line is I can't charge enough to make a profit for my materials and TIME. The other day I did buy a beautiful needlebook from a hand stitcher on etsy. The quality of the materials and her design were *outstanding*. It was $24 (expensive for a needlebook) but I can't believe she made much of a profit considering the time she put into it.

This is the trouble and some people can't see what they are looking at
- I was at a craft fair one Xmas and one stall had incredibly
beautiful stained glass pieces, the couple of women ahead of me were
carrying on about the price, further down was another stall with
plastic stained 'glass' at a fraction of the price. Clearly simply
melted and poured into moulds! There see! That's much more
reasonable. I felt depressed that they were unable to spot the total
difference in quality.