Old January 30th 07, 09:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
steelbreeze

Default Artisan Knitting Machine

Would the Artisan double bed standard knitting machine knit popcorn
stitches? I believe it has a built in ribber. Can the double bed knit
socks and mittens? It evidently does circular knitting. Does this mean
that the/a carriage is moved around the two beds to create a tube?
Would a linker not be needed and how does a linker work!? What
books/pamphlets would provide an overview of machine knitting?

Hi Karen,

By popcorn I imagine you mean tuck - creates a bobbly effect. All
machines can tuck. Having a double bed means you can produce rib
fabrics and circular fabrics, so socks are easy, check out the free
penny sock pattern at www.dimitysdrygoods.com.

There are two kinds of linkers - ones that fit on the bed of the
machine to cast off sts, and standalone ones, usually cylindrical,
that can be used to seam pieces. Of the former I have the Brother one
which is cheaply made and not worth the money - it doesn't do a very
good job. Of the latter I have a Hague linker and it chain stitches
pieces together - very handy!

The Hamlyn Guide to Machine Knitting (try ebay or Amazon) is an
excellent beginner's book with some simple patterns.

There are also some very active MK groups on Yahoo - try
knittingmachines as a keyword, also Machknit (www.listhost.com)

HTH

Jane

http://www.needlesofsteel.blogspot.com/
MKing in the UK

"You make it idiot-proof, they just build a better idiot!"