Old September 20th 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Default rolling mill questions

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:

I have a table in a German training book for goldsmiths, that lists the
thicknesses and widths one will end up with for a number of square starting
stock. Comes in very handy from time to time. If there is interest, I can scan
the page, and put it on my site for a few days.

I'm sure there'd be interest. I for one, would enjoy seeing it. thanks for the
offer.

Peter

The table is at: http://www.abrasha.com/misc/table.htm

BTW, it must be noted, that the numbers are approximates, because the results
vary depending on the material rolled, how well the pieces of wire are annealed,
the size of the "bite", how many times the wire is run through the mill before
annealing and rolling again, etc.

See the translation of the German at the bottom of the page.

Yo Ted! Pay particular attention the numbers for 1.2 mm wire. When rolled down
to .6 mm, the width ends up to be 1.8 mm. By my calculation, that is an
increase of 50%! And it is not even rolled out to .1 mm yet!

2 - 4% indeed!

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com