Old November 20th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

Default Glaze remelting/refiring

Hi D! Thanks for the quick reply!

So far, with my glazes, a second firing has never made them worse. I see
what you mean about substances being gone. None of my glazes are runny,
though - the only thing is the beautifier, and that has caused many craters
in the past, so I don't trust it much these days. Mind you, I think I was
putting it on wayyy too thick.

Would setting top temperature a couple of degrees higher help in melting the
edges of the craters?

Marianne

"DKat" wrote in message
Not stupid question at all. The second firing of a glaze is not the same
as the first. Before the first firing you had one set of chemicals.
After the firing you have a glass which has undergone chemical changes.
Your Carbon, Sulfur, Nitrogen, etc. have all been removed from the glaze.
It isn't even that you have a frit because glass is oddly a liquid in many
ways.

Also the second fire may not get rid of your blisters - it may in fact
make them worse.

If you can sand the blisters down as much as possible and then coat them
with a glaze that tends to be a bit on the runny side... maybe. JMO.

Good luck and enjoy your visit!

Donna

"Bubbles_" wrote in message
Hi again, folks

When refiring a glaze, does it melt again at the same or similar melting
point/temperature as it did the first time around? Stupid question,
maybe, but I'm still battling those pock marks and feel knowing for sure
would be a great help.

Thanks all! Back to glazing and firing so I have enough Christmas
presents for my family back in Norway - off on Sunday to visit them!
WHEEE!

Marianne