Old October 30th 11, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_3_]

Default October 25 - quilting?

On 25/10/2011 19:12, Sandy E wrote:
Howdy!

As Taria knows, it's 2 months 'til Christmas.
Anyone working on Christmas quilts?G

No, not me; I don't work to that deadline. I like to make
Christmas things in the summer,
to remind me that our hellish Tx. heat won't last forever. ;-P

Let the Festival begin!

Ragmop/Sandy- with a tote bag full of Trick-or-Treat candy:
I'm ready for all the holidays!

I'm taking the non-sewing way out as much as possible this year and
making gift baskets of jam, honey, handmade soap, bath fizzies, etc. So
much easier to assemble than a quilt, especially for those who don't
know how long a quilt takes.

For children, I am making fleece welly warmers/slippers, for Mark a
special cushion that has arms and helps you sit up in bed to read. It
is stuffed with all the bits and pieces from the fleece projects....
taking a lot more fleece bits to stuff it than I thought. The cover is
almost done (piping - I hate piping!) and that will be a big project out
of my sewing room and off the floor.

The babe is getting a Kinder Doll, for which I have all the special knit
fabric, sheepswool for stuffing and so on, but just need to begin.

The quilt I'm quilting just now was started in 2003, and which I took to
Russia in 2004 to work on. When I returned to the UK, the quilt like so
many things in my life, was shelved. I took it out and started working
on it seriously when I was pregnant. It is now on the machine, and has
all the grid quilting done.... Jacob's Ladder. I am about to quilt
diamonds along some of the diagonal seams in the blocks. I'm not going
to quilt it as heavily as I might have done, because the back is a giant
Carpenter's Wheel and the quilting from the Jacob's Ladder crisscrosses
it all over, but there you have it. I just want it done and given to
the recipient this year. His health is really not good, and well, done
is better than perfect.

The quilt has been shoved to the side as I made a cowboy sweatshirt for
the babe. He is heavily into cowboys right now, though we have no idea
where it springs from. I finished it this afternoon and it did cheer
him up, but the clocks going back and projectile vomiting is how ended
our evening.

I think it's time for bed....

-- Jo in Scotland