Old July 15th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
minkiemink

Default Need Help -- lost and found diamond -- defective ring?

On Jul 13, 8:15 am, wrote:
Hi everyone,

I posted this in another forum and am reposting this in an effort to
get more advice.. Any advice would be VERY MUCH appreciated...

.................................................. ..............
I need some advice about the engagement ring that I gave to my
girlfriend.. We live in Japan, and also I bought the ring from a
fairly high-end shop here after months of research..

It has a quite a unique looking design which i hadnt seen before which
is why I decided on it, but after a two months of wearing it, the ring
bent a bit which in turn let the diamond fall out.. Needless to say,
it was quite stressful and traumatic (especially for my girlfriend)
but we found the diamond after some hours searching..

We took the ring back to the store, and they said that the ring was a
little bit too loose, and maybe my girlfriend might have held
something heavy or hit the ring on something which warped the metal...
(90% platinum), which let out the diamond..

So they adjusted in their shop to make the size smaller, however when
we got back the ring, the curvature of the design seemed a bit
squished which made the ring seem a bit different from the original
design..

But we overlooked this, and my girlfriend was real hesitant with
wearing the ring, so she wore it just maybe three times in two
weeks... After which, when re-examining the ring, we noticed that the
main body of the ring seemed to be bending a bit.. the diamond was
still secure, but because we the curvature of the ring was noticably
changed, we took the ring back...

We complained and had a heated discussion at the shop, in which they
basically said that 90% platinum+alloy is actually much softer than
18k gold and its not uncommon for this to happen.. What they said they
could do is ask their design studio to alter slightly the ring design,
which we agreed to....

So essentially my question(s) are this:

1)Does each time the store adjusts the ring, cause the ring
constitution/structure to become weaker?

2) Is it possible that the ring was defective to begin with, and if
so, how would we know?

3) One advice I got was to have the store make the necessary
adjustments and then have then guarantee that the stone will not fall
out for a period of 5 years.. Is this normal in jewelry stores to
offer such a "protection plan"?

I would like to ask them just to make a new ring, but I would only ask
this if I know that the ring structure is already damaged, or if I
knew that the ring is somehow defective..

I can send picture if needed...

any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

This is the URL he posted on Orchid:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jessepen...ey=vXAHYkaDqUA

-Minkie