Old July 14th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Heinrich Butschal

Default Need Help -- lost and found diamond -- defective ring?

lemel_man schrieb:

It has a quite a unique looking design which i hadnt seen before which
is why I decided on it, but after a two months of wearing it, the ring
bent a bit which in turn let the diamond fall out.. Needless to say,
it was quite stressful and traumatic (especially for my girlfriend)
but we found the diamond after some hours searching..

We took the ring back to the store, and they said that the ring was a
little bit too loose, and maybe my girlfriend might have held
something heavy or hit the ring on something which warped the metal...
(90% platinum), which let out the diamond..

So they adjusted in their shop to make the size smaller, however when
we got back the ring, the curvature of the design seemed a bit
squished which made the ring seem a bit different from the original
design..

I guess this could be the type of ring where the stone is only fixed with the
tension of th the whole ring, like that?
http://www.schmuck-boerse.com/ring/29/detail.htm
These rings must be produced in hard alloy and with an minimum size for
sufficient tension.
Better is to set a small stick below the diamond which hold the both ends
together.

But we overlooked this, and my girlfriend was real hesitant with
wearing the ring, so she wore it just maybe three times in two
weeks...

It is nothing personal with the OP. And I have no real doubt that this is
true. However nearly any customer who came to my store and workshop in the
last nearly thirty years and had some complaints, told me that he or his wife
had word the ring three times. Some rings were totally worn down an had
hundreds of scratches within years, some have been worn only some months.
Is the number "three times worn" some holy mystery which I don´t know?
No one told me it was worn two times or four times, always three times.

Mit freundlichem Gruß,
Heinrich Butschal
--
Schmuck Gutachter und Schmuckverkauf http://www.butschal.de