Old July 7th 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default Totally, perhaps annoyingly, OT! question for Brits

From our Time in Mnachester UK , we have a children`s book called
"Little Mrs Pepperpot" By Alf Proysen , A Puffin book , 1972. The
letter o has a / over it and it says it was translated by Marianne
Helweg /illustrated by Bjorn Berg.
She is a bit like Alice and her size changes ,,,,,,
mirjam

http://web.archive.org/web/200503012...itch/ac/jr/155
.htm

So just how far back does this usage go, anybody know? Anybody have an
idea of the etymology either? All I know is that the translator is
probably Constance Garnett (1861 — 1946), who began translating Russian
literature into English in 1893. Her English has been described as of
the Edwardian era.