Old March 4th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Carl

Default Ephemeral materials challenge: An answer

When Carl put fingers to keys it was 2/3/07 3:32 PM...

When I put fingers to keys it was 1/31/07 2:02 AM...

It's a long story, but I want to create a choker like this:

http://c-76-19-175-241.hsd1.ma.comca.../CandyCorn.jpg

using real candy corn.

It's looking like the way to go is to slowly drill the candies then
quickly (and gently) stuff them onto flattened wire studs and let them
cool in place. The drilling (and holding the drill in place for a
moment) heats the candy and softens it enough to form around the stud.

Gonna try twisting the flattened studs.

Yup, that worked:

http://c-76-19-175-241.hsd1.ma.comca...dyCornReal.jpg

_Not_ photoshopped except for cropping.

The 'studs' are ~20ga stainless.
I started with pieces a hair over 1" long and bent about 3/8" from each
end at 90?, each segment perpendicular to the other two.

Depending on your display font, this might be a picture of it: |/\

I flattened one end to about 3:1 and twisted it, then wire-wheeled the
tip to take off any sharpness.

The choker was a strip of thin leather 1-1/2" wide with holes every 3/4".

I coated the inside with contact cement and let it dry.

I placed the twisted ends through the holes, arranging the remaining 'L'
shapes along the centerline then folded the leather in to the centerline
and hammered it 'shut'.

Slow drilling the candies with a 1/16" bit held in a drill press did the
job nicely. Enough of the candy corn was softened by the heat that they
pressed on very nicely. When they cooled they stayed on for several days
and several hundred miles of transport with no problem whatever.

- CW