Old October 20th 05, 04:10 PM
KJ

Default OT Is this another difference?

Yes, it does sound like a newscaster flub. But we do use the "hundred"
after almost any number up to 10,000 when it doesn't end in zero. ( eg, not
20 hundred, 30 hundred, 40 hundred etc., they would be 2000, 3000, 4000 etc)
but you will hear it for almost all the other numbers. 21 hundred (2100) ,
22 hundred (2200) etc.
Oh geez, I've gotten my punctuation all messed up. Sorry about that. Hope
I'm clear...but I'm not taking the time to rewrite!

--
Kathyl
remove "nospam" before mchsi

"Tracey" wrote in message
. ..

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
I've just been listening to hurricane news on Fox, and noticed that
one one item of other news they spoke of 'thirty hundred people' when
here we would have said 'three thousand' (3,000).

Is this a general thing - or regional - or is it just that particular
news reader?

It sounds to me like the newscaster just flubbed reading the teleprompter.
Its not unusual to hear 28 hundred people (2,000) so he/she just misspoke
most likely.