Old July 29th 10, 08:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
1 Lucky Texan

Default graver sharpening

On Jul 28, 2:50=A0am, Ted Callier wrote:
I am trying to learn hand engraving on my own, with the help of two
books (Hardy/Bowman and Meeks). And watching videos on Youtube. These
are a great help to visualise the process of engraving. Thing is, I
just can't seem to find any instructional videos for sharpening
gravers. All I could find is directed towards commercial products
which are too expensive for me right now.

Anybody has a link to a video which shows sharpening gravers using the
flint-stone aged manual procedure with indian oilstone and arkansas
stone?

And, more of a european specific question, it seems, what kind of
sharpening aids are used in Europe. The book speak about a graver
holder / graver fixture "Crocker", but the only sources I can find are
in the US. Anybody has sources in Europe, or a european equivalent?

Thanks in advance,
Ted

I found some links doing a google video search. Not all look helpful,
not all are at youtube.

http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dgra...3Doff&cl ien=
t=3Dfirefox-a&rls=3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial&tbs=3Dvid:1&ei=3D0iNQTPqeJYX=
GlQfW45G7CQ&start=3D0&sa=3DN&cts=3D1280320491496

Probably 2-3 will have some decent guidelines.