Old June 19th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default felting to fix a "mistake"

It is a very good idea ,, i would use Blanket stich at the cuts` edges
and than embroider those together , maybe with a bead or 2 ,,,,
mirjam

I knitted a wool cap with my koolaid-dyed yarn for the charity box. I
thought the hat to be way to big circumference-wise, and so decided to felt
it by throwing it in the washer. Gauge? I don't need no stinkin' gauge!
:-D Oh, it felted (well, not completely) a good deal before I realized that
what I had managed to do is shrink it length-wise and now have a shorter cap
with the same width as I started with! Since my motto is "If you can't fix
it, feature it", I am thinking what I'll do it toss it back in the washer
and really try to felt it completely. I'm thinking that after I've created
the felt fabric, I can go back and snip out wedges of the excess width--sort
of like creating darts, and then stitch the fabric back together to make the
circumference smaller. I'll make the "darts" a decorative aspect of the
hat. Does this sound reasonable? I've never done this before and I think I
can slip stitch the tucks or darts so that they won't be seen in the felted
hat. Ideas or advice??

Thanks!

lisa

--
"Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but they
still bring a smile to your face when