Old March 1st 04, 11:44 PM
Millie

(Chuck) wrote in message ...
On 29 Feb 2004 05:46:43 -0800,
(Cathy Weeks)
wrote:

1. When reprimanding someone, the most courteous way is to do it
off-line so...

.........snip.........

Thank you !

5. There is a fine line between trolling and someone who posts an
inappropriate advert. The OP hasn't been back, and isn't likely to be
back (which is troll-like behavior). So in that case, I wouldn't even
bother reprimanding him,

................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's already been done, as it is each time, off-group, via email,
which is very likely why you haven't seen them back. It happens all
the time, and usually the response is the same...ie. the person
just goes away. Sometimes they say, "Oops, sorry, thanks for the
heads-up," and even more rarely they get all ****y and "Who do you
think you are with your stupid rules" about it, in which place I wait
for them to take it to the next level. (See below.)

The problem with breaking the rules, is that you'll incure the wrath
of the locals. To go back to my billboard example from another post,
if you put up a billboard that spoils the view, you may in Nevada not
get in trouble for it, but you might irritate your neighbors, for
having devalued their property values, and spoiling their view.

Which, in the newsgroup world, can involve losing your account
altogether for the abuse of a newsgroup, which IS a written rule, in
the user's agreement of most ISP's and online services, if said locals
complain about it. This, like the troll situation, has also happened
on this newsgroup in the past.

You really are a control freak!

--
Chuck *#:^)