Old December 5th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default Talc!

Apparently Ceramic Supplies (NJ) gets its talc from a mine in Connecticut
where the talc has been contaminated with asbestos. The University
Environmental 'police' confiscated our talc and were going to take our
glazes made with talc. They were talked out taking the glazes. I learned
this morning that we are going to try to get a replacement talc from
Texas...

I keep on swearing I'm not going back into the studio yet I keep finding
myself there.

Donnna

"Bob Masta" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 14:28:02 -0500, "DKat"
wrote:

The writing on the wall is that the University is not going to allow us to
use Talc either in our glazes or our clays (how in the world you are
supposed to find that out given the mix we have that has come and gone and
the recycling done...).

Our best glazes use Talc. What in the world can you do to substitute it
especially given that I have used it to keep glazes from crazing and it is
the only thing that worked.

Donna

So, what is the University's reason for this? Is the about
the talc itself (magnesium silicate), or some impurity?
Considering that baby powder is talc, and the way
it is applied (through those shaker-top squeeze bottles)
puts a lot of it into the air, compared to a potter stirring
talc into a glaze, one has to wonder. Or is baby powder
now an endangered species as well?

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v3.50
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator
Science with your sound card!