Old February 23rd 04, 03:59 AM
A&V

There is big difference between casting slip - what I believe Robert is
talking about, and decorating slip.
It is not that easy to make good casting slip.
The greyness of porcelain can be caused by firing in a gas kiln ( even if it
is not reduced). Electric kiln gives more white look.
I am lucky to be able to purchase casting porcelain from Australian Fine
China - a local factory. It has a nice white finish.

Andrea

"wayneinkeywest" wrote in message
.. .
Wayne -

Have you actually made slip out of Southern Ice? An apparently
knowledgable Byrne distributor told us that Southern Ice *cannot* be
made into a slip. I have no idea of why though. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert:
Sorry to contradict what you've been told, but
if they can make a clay from it, YOU can make a slip from it.
Mix with water, blend, done. I use a blender.
Terra Sig is something else
though. I'm having a great deal of trouble making THAT
from porcelain. Could just be me...
or the fact that most of the particles are the same size,
and therefore little to no separation.
Wayne