Old July 19th 03, 02:29 PM
Allan Adler

Thanks to all who offered their suggestions. What finally seems to have
worked (the jury is still out on this) is using little clamps to reinforce
the the receptacles for the castors. These are the kind which contain a
loop of flat metal and which one tightens and loosens using a screw driver.
I bought four of them and used them on one of the stacks that had collapsed
and now it is again functional. Total cost of the repair was 7 x 7 x 7 = 343
pennies.

If this solution should ever fail, I found how how to make my own dollies of
exactly the size I need. It should cost me about 20 dollars per dolly (about
10 dollars per piece of wood and nearly that for wheels with flat attachments,
plus tax), since I will have to purchase both the cut wood and the dolly,
having no tools of my own and no place to do the necessary woodwork. On the
other hand, the place that will sell me the pieces of wood (about
18'' x 18'' x 3/4") will also drill holes in it where I want them for no
extra cost. I think it is a bit steep but the total cost is way less than
what it would cost to replace the stack by a file cabinet.

Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *