Old August 6th 14, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian[_3_]

Default Businesses

Recently I posted about a youtube video about making a cell phone cover
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqDa__c9Zg).

I then made a cover for my phone that is slightly smaller and a cover for
my kindle that is slightly bigger than the pattern in the video.

A while after that, I was paying for a midnight munchie run down to
Denny's, and put my kindle case on the counter to get out my credit card,
and the cashier said something like "that is a nice case for your e-
reader," or something like that.

I then said something like thank you very much, but I can't remember if I
added that I made it.

This however, got me to thinking about something.

If I were going to make such a case for one of my siblings or my sweetie
or whoever as a gift, I would not charge any thing of course.

If a member of my sword class or something like that noticed mine and
asked me to make one for them, I would charge what the item cost, which I
can't imagine being more than 2 to 3 dollars (depending on how fancy a
button you get, the fabric you get, etc.).

If I were to start making these covers, called something like "Brian's
Custom Cell Phone Covers," I would charge 10 to 20 dollars, depending on
the size of the case needed (though I don't think that really changes the
price that much).

I know there are some professional quilters/seamstresses on this list,
and I was wondering what is a reasonable charge for this item.

More than my proposed price of 10 to 20 dollars, closer to the actual
cost of the item (2 to 3 dollars), or is the price of 10 to 20 dollars
about right.

I know that most of the people on this list can, or at least should be
able to make one of these cases themselves, but my target market would be
people who either so not have the sewing skill or the time or desire to
make one.

Brian Christiansen