Old August 10th 03, 10:45 PM
C Ryman

Are they tarnishing any?
If they look like they are getting tarnished or dull, try this to tell if it
is silver.
Line a small pan with aluminum foil, put the earring hook on the foil and
sprinkle a good amount of baking soda on top of it. Pour boiling water
over it (don't try this with beads). This will cause some bubbling. Lean
over and smell the steam. If it smells like sulfur then it is silver and
should become a brighter silver.
I use this test on some of the necklaces I find in the Salvation Army junk
jewelry box. I do find some sterling silver and some very interesting base
metal chains.
Go ahead and buy some silver stock and use the questionable findings for
your personal jewelry or gifts to relatives.
Good Luck,
--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

I have some earring hooks that I am pretty sure are sterling

silver,
but
not
100% sure. Is there any way to find out? It is important enough

for
me
know (based on people's advice in another thread ) that I am

willing
sacrifice one (well, it might as well be two) if necessary.

If they're not marked, you can only tell by having one destroyed.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Handmade Bali Sterling Beads at Wholesale