Old January 24th 05, 12:05 PM
BonnieBlue

"Telnes" wrote in message
Hello, My name is Theresa. I've been lurking for 6 weeks or so. Thought
I'd
drop a line and get some tips at the same time.

I'm new to cross stitching. Years ago, I did quite a little bit of
stamped
linen surface embroidery. I found a set of pillowcases that had been
hanging
around for a while and decided to finish them. That was the initial steps
what now seems almost like an obsession.

I'm trying to pace myself. I started with some bookmarks, on to finger
towels,
and now I'm right in the middle of Donna Kooler's "Celebrate" sampler. I
have
really high expectations and I've been collecting Paula Vaughan and Teresa
Wentzler!

My question is this - While you are working a piece what do you with
partial
strands. I've been using the single strand doubled and through the loop
start a color.. It has made a big difference in the neatness of the back.
But
right now, I have a wad of strands. i.e. 2 strands left on the length of
white, 4 strands left on the yellow, 1 strand of red,light gray, dark
gray,
light medium and dark blue, etc, I don't want to toss them because the
colors
are used again in another section of the sampler. There has to be a better
way.
Any tips?

Hi Theresa!

I also keep my floss on the card bobbins. When I stitch, I cut my thread at
about 18" or so, pull out the number of threads I need and then wind the
remainder back onto the bobbin. However, if I am working with a skein of
floss, I take the unused strands, double or quadruple them and attach them
with a larkshead knot around the remaining skein. (I think that's what the
knot is called...you pull one end through the loop on the other end and snug
it down...)
--
BonnieBlue

WIPs:
Summer Patches pillow by Homespun Elegance
Knitted Cardigan by Lion Brand
Knitted Amish Throw with Manos

Commit random acts of literacy! Read & Release at
http://www.bookcrossing.com/friend/BonnieBlue