Old August 31st 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Machine Quilt?

Sandy and Mika:
I do not see what difference it makes if the quilter is
left or right handed. In either case, there will be
some awkwardness, some problems going in strange
directions, and so on. Going 'backwards' across the
quilt is not easy for most people, but like anything,
some people can adapt sooner/better than others! This
rightie is NOT one of those people, so I like my hoop
that swivels!
PAT in VA/USA

Sandy wrote:

In article ,
"Mika" wrote:

..
I'm going to quilt it myself. I guess my thoughts in asking was kind of like
this. I'm not very good with the stitching yet. My stitches are often uneven
and vary in the number per inch. Yes I am very much a beginner in hand
piecing. I was wondering about the durability of machine quilting vs hand
quilting since I'm not really very good with the piecing yet. I tried to
hand quilt on a frame and just could not get the hang of it. I'm left-handed
and it was so uncomfortable. I haven't tried with a hoop so that may be an
option for handquilting and may be a great way to learn. Who knows. :-)

Hugs,
Mika
Queen of PaperPiece Klutzdom

Mika, I'm left-handed, too. I've hand quilted a couple of times on a
frame, and I agree that it's tricky at first; I never did get the hang
of quilting in directions that weren't "normal" for me! G However,
quilting in a hoop eliminates all of that, since you can turn the hoop
in order to stitch in a comfortable direction (i.e., top left to bottom
right, etc.).