Old September 10th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default Question about the Janome 6600

KEEP your old machine. Even if you never, ever sew another stitch on it.
Having a back-up usually will prevent needing one. There might come a day
when a friend or little one will want to sew with you. If you don't have
room for two, toss your shoes out and use the closet space for the back-up.
You don't really want to wear shoes anyway. Polly

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message
I've had mine for over a year now.

I do love it. I LOVE the knee lift and I find my right leg moving to
lift the presser foot when sewing on other machines and nothing happens.
:-) The extra harp space is so nice for machine quilting. I really
like the autofeed - particularly the open toe foot for machine quilting
straight lines as you can really see where you're going. No more
puckers either.

It does not have a free arm. However, there are sewing tricks to do
armholes and hems on a flat bed machine; after all, that's how the pros
do it. I don't do a lot of garment sewing but lack of a free arm hasn't
been an issue I can hem a sleeve either way.

There is a yahoo group for 6500/6600 owners. You can ask around there.
Also, there is an old discussion in the archives on sewing techniques
for garments on a flat bed.

It is nice to have a smaller machine to lug to classes. So, if you are
a class taking girl you might want to consider keeping your old machine
or saving for a smaller more portable machine for the future.

marcella

In article hbdFi.32054$Pd4.537@edtnps82,
"Carissa" wrote:

Hello,

I am sooo very close to buying this machine. I really really really want
it
lol. But Before I spend all those $$ I want to hear from some owners?
Do
you love it? Why? If not why? Also, I on the rarest of occasions, make
clothes for my daughter (she is the only one still young enough to
appreciate hand made clothes... or maybe its just that I am not very good
lol) Anyhow, the sale people all rave about how wonderful it is for
quilting as well as other sewing, but it doesnt seem to have the part
that
detaches for sleeves. Does it? Will I miss it if it doesnt? I do make
boxers for my three boys and find that a useful function on my basic
machine. I could keep my basic machine for that feature,( a detachable
free
arm I think it is called) but the shop is willing to take it in trade
so....
What should I do? Follow my impulsive needs or???? help me please
Thank you

Carissa