Old April 20th 05, 03:49 AM
Phylis Maurer

Interesting discussion, which gives a relatively new designer a lot to think
about. My work - ethnic needlework - is off the beaten track, so my comments
may not represent a typical designers viewpoint.

What I have discovered in trying to place my work is that unless you price
your designs in a competitive range, they are not considered "serious or
legitimate" designs. Vendors aren't interested in handling lower priced
items, because the cost of processing the paperwork eats up the small fees
they would collect.

Another point to consider when comparing older projects to contemporary
projects is the quality of the work itself. Currently, we benefit from
full-color pictures, charts created with computer graphics, and line
drawings of complicated stitches. The designer has experimented with all
those expensive fibers and fabrics to figure out what looks good together
(at least I hope they have.) Would we want to go back to sketchy verbal
descriptions (of stitches), charts that sort of hint at which stitch goes
where, and basic threads?

All this being said, I will admit to feeling totally "ripped off" after
getting in the mail a 2 page design for $12.00. I do hope that new
stitchers are not being priced out of this wonderful art.

Phyllis Maurer