Old April 19th 05, 07:28 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I paid $8.50 for a knitting pattern on a heavier stock leaflet,
approximately 5 x 8 - folded.

EVERYTHING is going up in price. I'm tired of giving my stuff away.

My husband was perusing some shoes and remarked how expensive they were.
I said: In 1958 I paid $50 for a pair of good shoes. That was one
week's pay (less taxes). We seem to get stuck on yesterday's prices and
fail to realize things have gone up in value, e.g., printing costs,
hourly wages (well, they haven't gone up much the past two decades).
We're getting so many goods imported from cheap labor areas of the world
(and they don't last, either). We just seem to forget that when the
government says inflation is in check, they are lying. :-) It's a pea
under the walnut game.

Dianne

Julie wrote:
Every once and awhile I abandon needlework for a long period of time
then come back to it. After a hiatus of about a year (when I
concentrated on quilting), I returned to my first love. To "celebrate"
I purchased a needlework inventory program and entered in all my
leaflets and books along with what I paid for them. One thing that I
noticed was I got a lot more value for my money with my older leaflets
and books. It used to be that when you bought a book or leaflet, you
got several designs (not to mention several pages). Now you pay
$8,$10,$12 dollars or more for one pattern (and on top of that, are all
the specialty threads, overdyed fabrics, and embellishments that go
with it).

I understand (and support) that designers deserve compenstion for their
work and I have purchased many, many designs (not to mention my
increasing stash of overdyed floss and silk), but I have to say I feel
designers are starting to price themselves out of my market (and I'm
not cheap about what needlework materials I buy). I used to buy some
patterns just to support a designer's work, but I don't do that so much
any more. There are some noted exceptions - for instance Prairie
Schooler, Cross-Winged Collection, and The Cricket Collection are
always good buys, but after I saw a $40.00 Just Nan "limited edition"
leaflet I couldn't believe my eyes. And those little Bent Creek
Snappers - $4.00*12 months=$48.00 for little square designs (and yes, I
*have* these, so what was I thinking?!).

Does anyone else feel the same way? I really miss the some of the older
style books that used to be printed, like the Vanessa Ann Collection,
that had not only lots of stuff, but interesting ways to finish them.

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com