Old September 27th 04, 08:03 PM
Tom Farrell

Karen Maslowski wrote in message .. .
Geez, Tom, I wasn't saying that I wouldn't wear anything that I'd put a
kid in, or vice versa.

Okay. I wouldn't put any child in anything I wouldn't wear myself. I
wouldn't put myself in anything I wouldn't put on a child. (I would
use a more restrictive set of fabrics for newborns, however, just for
softness purposes.)

frankly, I'd put any child, but especially a newborn, into natural
fibers over synthetic, any day. And that's what I prefer to wear myself.

Okay. That's internally consistent, and that's what I wasn't seeing in
your earlier post. My apologies if I seem a bit too vehiment.

As to the relative merits of Polarfleece vs. other types--if you buy a
fleece sleeper at a store, or buy fleece yardage at one of the chain
stores (Jo-Ann, Wal-Mart, Handcocks, etc.), you are not likely to get
real Polarfleece.

Fortunately, I just go to Malden Mills in person and buy Polartec.

Even LL Bean, a company that used to use more
Polarfleece than almost any other, no longer uses just their fleece.

I've stopped buying LL Bean clothes anyway because a member of the
Bean family, who are, I believe, still the owners (or large
shareholders at least), has donated large amounts of money to anti-gay
causes. The company itself is very progressive, but the Bean family
aren't, and I don't want them profiting from my purchases.

It's a pity so many companies are using cheaper fleece. Polartec
really is a superior fabric. It's soft, light, warm, looks like
velvet, and STAYS THAT WAY AFTER REPEATED WASHINGS. I've used other
fleeces, but nothing else is as luxurious.

Anyone who takes what you quoted on the Malden Mills website as
assurance that *no* fleece is flammable is literally playing with fire.

Absolutely. And, for what it's worth, I do really intend to find a
scrap of Polartec in my stash sometime and burn it to see what
happens. I'll post about it after I get around to it.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/