Old August 10th 11, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Default Needing some tips about Dear Jane

Ha-ha!

Returning to SITD: it is dead easy if you don't mind wobbles!!

If you do decide to do it, a couple of things which should help:
if you quilt along the lower side of the seam it will be
marginally easier. You will have observed that, if you press seams to
the side, there is a high side and low side to every seam. However, the
side 'prongs' of the presser foot will be a slightly different levels to
one another. Exception is if you press your seams open.

when you are quilting along the low side of the seam, start at
the end which allows you main light source (usually a window) to be on
the same side of the seam as the low side. Otherwise you will be
quilting along the shadow of the high side onto the low side. Try it
and you will see what I mean. That increased visibility makes and
enormous difference in being able to keep the quilting line just up
against the 'step' of the high side, but not hopping onto it (what I
called a 'burp'!)
..
In message , Trish Brown
writes
Pat S wrote:
I love to 'hear' the enthusiasm in your writing!

LOL! So do I! I've done so many different crafts and hobbies in my life,
but quilting has come along kinda late-ish to me. It's so exciting to be
able to start something completely new, but not too unfamiliar (I've been
a person-who-sews since I was four).

Tiny word of warning (sorry!): SITD is not as easy as it sounds g. If
you want to quilt along the sashing, it would be easier to do the
stitching a quarter of an inch from the seams - still straight lines,
but any little 'burp' from the straight wouldn't show nearly as much!

Yes, I hear you! I haven't tried SITD yet, but my friend assures me it's
dead easy. Hah! Just like high school dressage: quite simple *as long
as you know what you're doing*!

Caution about leaving those blocks unquilted, with just the sashing sewn
down. When I suggested the false back, it was because you would have
quilted the individual blocks. It would depend a bit on your batting,
but I don't think 6.5" blocks would do too well unquilted.
Or, as is more than likely, I have misunderstood your intentions!

O no, I wouldn't leave the blox unquilted: I'd quilt them as I went ('go-ed'?)
and then do the sashing thing with the false back. So many ideas to
think of and I haven't even put my scissors into fabric yet. I've printed out
the first half-dozen foundations for triangles and keep looking at them
meaningfully. Hmmmm...

;-D

--
Best Regards