Old August 14th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling[_3_]

Default Anyone hate working with specific colors?

I am just finishing up the last pair of earrings for a wedding I am doing, and I've come to the
realization that I hate working with the color red. Seriously though, when I stopped and looked at
my collection of jewelry that I've made, I really didn't have anything red - cept for some coral.
But, when I was contracted to do the wedding jewelry for my 2nd cousin and found out that the
bridesmaids are wearing red... well, I just about had a heart attack and almost turned it down.

Picture this... Bride is wearing the traditional white gown, the groom is wearing a black tux with
purple cummerbund and the bridesmaids are wearing red gowns. UUGH!! Now, here is the hard part:
these girls are early 20's, live and work in NY, NY and consider themselves cosmopolitan. This
translates to "NO PEARLS" cause these girls think pearls are only for older women. *shakes my head*
Gesh! Its not like I was going to string a bunch of pearls together like grandma would wear!!!

I make my jewelry with only sterling or fine silver, gem stones, pearls, and Swarovski crystals - in
what ever combination that works. If you think about it, what gem stone is red? Ruby? yep, but
rubies are usually that fuchsia type red. Garnet? yep, but garnet's are a deeper, darker, almost
maroon red. I needed a traditional red, not too dark and not too pink and not too light and I
didn't want to spend a lot of money on that muffler - err, I mean the jewelry components. Its not
like you really have a lot of beads to choose from in the red family now is it, and lets face it...
I couldn't use any of my red options cept for crystals but I didn't want to use just crystals alone.
When you are forced into a color... ya gotta use what ya gotta use. *sigh* I hate red!

Actually, I love the color red but I really hate working with it. It would have been a lot easier
if the girls were matching the groom and were wearing purple (any shade) cause there is so much to
choose from with purples. Anyone else have a color they hate working with???

Sterling