Old September 12th 04, 07:53 PM
Debra

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:52:33 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

"Alan Horowitz" wrote in message
. com...
I first observed people doing this when washing clothes by hand, in
the Philippines. I presumed it was a local folkloric nonsense.

Just recently, I noticed that the fine print of the Care Label of my
jeans, includes a instruction to turn inside out before washing.

What is the reason for it?

Because we don't "wear" clothes out, we "wash" them out. The top loading
machines with the big agitator really are hard on clothes. The thing that
really impressed me was how little lint ends up in the filter of my friend's
dryer after they have been in the front loading washer. She cleans her
filter after every 8-10 loads. I have to clean mine after every load. That
lint is the fabric of your garment. I don't know that I want a front loader
next time, but I would like one of the top loaders with the agitator that
swings from side to side rather than bouncing up and down.
Cindy

If your current machine's agitator goes up and down you are going to
hate the ones that rotate/swish side to side instead. They don't
clean as well, and you still have the same amount of lint as your
current washer. You might want to think seriously about getting a
front loader instead. They clean clothes really well as long as you
don't overload the machine, and they are the gentlest on fabric, and
they use less water and a lot less detergent. If you live in the US
and you think you need to buy a special detergent, don't worry. You
don't have to buy expensive special low-sudsing detergent, just use
half as much (or less) than what you use in a top loader. The
expensive "special" detergent is a gimmick invented by one name brand
front loading washing machine manufacturing company that also owns a
company that makes a name brand detergent.

Note: If you live in the US, research front loaders before buying one
because many of the name brands sold for home use in the US are not as
good as they should be. Someday, hopefully soon, the US brands will
have front loaders for homes that are as good as the ones the European
brands sell for homes.

Debra in VA