Old December 15th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Default art or craft

Grin, most of my own designs fall into the later designation
Steve. Not craft, not art, but crap. Hell, I couldn't draw flies if I
was covered in s.....sugar.

As far as the paint by numbers, I'm sure they were there, but the
"artiists" of these fine masterpieces had the foresight to make sure
to put extra paint over the numbers so they couldn't be seen. Damn
crafty move if you ask me . . .

True enough, I suppose the intricacy or detail isn't a concern.
There is stunning work in all mediums, and the detail, or lack of, is
often part of the magic of the art.

If we use the criteria of "designing it yourself" as the calling
card to art, I can kind of agree to that to a degree. However, if I
design a vase of roses, regardless of how I lay the pattern out, 3,
5, 7, or 11 roses, isn't the whole theme rather stale? Do I not lose
on the originality aspect and revert back to a craft?

Grin, are there any "original" ideas left?

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:03:38 -0500, Steve Ackman
wrote:

In , on Fri, 14 Dec 2007
10:00:55 -0500, , wrote:

Is what we do an art or a craft?

If you follow someone else's pattern, it's craft.
If you design your own, it might be art... or it might
be crap. ;-)

Was to a local "art" show this summer and kinda came away ticked
off. All the oil paintings and watercolours were in the art tents,

Were the paint-by-numbers in the art tent as well?

Is a 28 piece lampshade art? Is a 700 piece tiffany lampshade a
craft?

The intricacy or amount of time it takes isn't a
determining factor.
Is a paint-by-number kit with 128 colors, and 1024
separate areas any more art than the one with 12 colors
and 100 areas?

What differentiates an art from a craft?

Whether you designed it or not is the primary criteria.

Is the intended use of the end product the difference between art
and craft?

No.

Art is created for the sake of creation while craft is
create for a profit?

No. Art is created. Craft is recreated.