Old April 23rd 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Default Yarn Varieties

On Apr 23, 4:17 pm, coggietm wrote:
I like bamboo yarns.

I'm quite jealous of the range of yarns available in the States. The
vast bulk of yarns availble here are wool or acrylic. I tend to knit
only with wool and I prefer natural fibres but the few choices outside
of wool are often very chunky or "novelty" yarns, or prohibitively
expensive. Granted being a country of more sheep than people means we
have some very nice wool yarns but I'd like to try something a little
different now and again (one of the reasons I took up spinning my own
yarn). I'm knitting with Patons Zhivago at the moment (50% Tencel, 50%
acrylic) - it's certainly very soft but it's drape means it's not that
satisfactory for patterns that need good stitch definition and it
doesn't come any finer than double-knit weight.

I supect my real problem is I'm too tight with money - I just can't
bring myself to pay $20+ (that's about US$15) for 100g of yarn!

VP