Old February 17th 04, 12:46 PM
Karen_AZ

I think a huge part of the jewelry issue is understanding your market and
working FOR it, instead of against it (or finding a different market). Back
in the Philly area, the predominant market is very conservative....14K,
diamonds and other precious stones, etc. Even casual jewelry is just more of
the same in simple, scaled-down styles. I would sell at craft shows and get
lots of pick-up oohs and ahhs, but very few sales. Same went for beads,
those who bought chose classic styles, like the Czech wedding cake beads or
simple geometrics.

But, I started doing shows further afield...and became a small hit in
Atlanta. They seem to be much more open to being "different" and expressing
themselves in their own way. I took a few pieces of jewelry to help sell my
beads, and the jewelry outsold the beads at two shows. LOL It's pretty much
the same story out here as well.

So, I think you need to understand the local tastes if you're going to sell
locally. Then work up designs that are, ummmm, not threatening to those
tastes. Sometimes it's soooo frustrating, but trying to "enlighten" just
doesn't help your wallet as well.

--
KarenK
www.desertdreameraz.com

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
That's great to know. And I wasn't being sarcastic or disrespectful when

mentioned upping my prices. I live in an area where high ticket jewelry

is
gold nuggets, jade and gems. I don't think I can get a fair price here in
Fairbanks. And I don't see example of work similar to mine that is for
sale.

Tina