Old March 13th 04, 10:44 PM
Betty in Wi

Married people get a break tax wise. You pay less taxes than if you both
filed separately. That is why less taxes were taken out. My husband and I
have found that we need to claim 0 deductions each----we don't itemize
deductions either (no house interest to deduct). The payroll department
where you work should be able to help you calculate how many exemptions to
claim. If your tax situation is simple---do your taxes yourself. No need to
pay someone to do what you can do yourself. Did you know you can go to
Turbotax.com and file your taxes online. There are other providers as
well---H & R Block for instance. If you have internet, you don't have to go
out and purchase tax software---which changes each year. There is a nominal
fee for using internet tax software.

Betty in WI

"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
Obviously I know nothing about taxes. Just got a shock when I did the
calculations for 2003 and noticed for the first time we owe a big chunk
(at least for us, since in the past we always got a couple hundred bucks
back). Remember we rent, we don't get too much interest from savings
accounts, and we have no other income besides 2 postdoc salaries. This
is the second time we filed jointly.