Old November 18th 03, 02:44 PM

BABY BEDDING

Having made sheets from flannel, and experiencing no great shrinkage,
I have to ask:
are you washing the sheets in hot water?
Note: consider making crib sheets from ready made flannel sets--they go
on sale about this time of year.
You can get 4 crib sheets from a set of double bed sheets. I always
try to find the better quality, pre-shrunk sets which are made in
Portugal. Odd place to think of exporting flannel sheets, but I have
found they are better quality, with a firmer, slightly tighter weave,
and wear _much_ better than sheets made from fabric store flannels.
My MIL was Mistress of Making Things Last; she continues to teach me,
even after her death. Among her possessions were sheets which were in
EC, except for having drawn up. She remedied this by opening the corners
and adding a section of fabric--sometimes she made a fitted sheet larger
by adding a whole strip of fabric around the outer edges.
There's a money-saving lesson here which I took to heart. I use
the pilowcases for mending purposes, as they are too hot to sleep on.
HTH.
Cea
---
(Kyla)
...sleeping baby when you lay them down. I hate flannel sheets; every
single one I've had has shrunk so much...I have a couple as backups (for
*sick* days/nights), and they still seem to be shrinking, after three
years!
I think that if you are willing to learn to sew for this project, it's a
pretty good one to start with. sheets and blankets are easy to sew, but
the
lots of snpping going on...
Kyla
---
Xena sez:
initial comments trimmed sharply, too
The expensive flannel with the darling coordinated pattern on them
tended to slip off and was a little harder to get completely under the
corners, especially after it shrunk. snip