Old May 24th 04, 07:27 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

You could probably get away with a domestic machine that is designed for
sewing jeans and other denim-weight fabrics. If, however, you will be
sewing a lot of these items then the industrial machine is the way to go.
The industrials are built to take a lot more 'abuse' but are somewhat of one
trick ponies. They work best for what they are tooled to do. They also
take up more space and are not portable! (You didn't say where you were
going to do these things.) The price is higher, but they are well worth the
extra if that is what you really need.
Cynthia
(Owner of 3 domestic sewing machines, 2 domestic sergers and one industrial
serger - and yes, they are all used!)
"Shawna" wrote in message
om...
I am new to sewing and want to learn but for the specific reason of
sewing heavy fabrics like canvas, leather,etc. I will be doing basic
jobs like repairing horse blankets, sewing covers for outside dog
beds. What should I be looking for in the way of a machine. To sew
heavy materials, I assume is a specific class of machine..I guessed
industrial? I also will need to learn how to run the machine but I am
very mechanically inclined and also have local stores to ask
questions. I have not gone into them yet until I thought I would ask a
group such as this questions so I could get some knowledge so I don't
get taken at a store..not that all do but...anyhow, ideas, thoughts,
suggestions would be appreciated.