Old March 28th 16, 09:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Default Has anyone ever MacGyvered way to have regular sewing machinehold thread cone?

This advice may be coming way too late, but at least you'll know what you can do in the future...

I buy serger thread instead of all purpose thread because it is far less expensive and works just as well.

In order to use it with my sewing machine, I simply plop the serger spool in a coffee cup, place it to the right of my sewing machine and thread my machine as normal. I use the same method to thread bobbins. The only real disadvantage of the larger serger spools is, I can't store them on a board that I put finishing nails in to store my spools and bobbins on. I am considering rigging a way to use my bobbin winder or rotary tool to refill some empty spools I've been holding onto so that I can store my thread more elegantly.

Have a wondrous day!

On Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 10:40:42 PM UTC-4, Craftsy wrote:
A couple of years ago or so, I saw a sale for cones of thread at a
very good price so I bought a couple. I've since never been able to
figure out how to use them on my regular sewing machine. When I went
around Xmas to fabric store, they told me that those were for sergers
and that I couldn't use them in any way on a regular sewing machine.

Well, I've never been one to believe something can't be done until
I've exhausted all avenues. I _still_ may not have figured out what I
can do to use the cones on the single slim spindle on my Singer but
thought maybe someone here had created something that would do the
job.

I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Has anyone figured out anything that works?

Thanks. D