Old July 20th 04, 04:10 PM
Karl Vorwerk

I got a similar hinge from and old pair of glasses my girlfriend's optician
father had laying around, ground off the old hinge and what was left on the
hinge and soft soldered it. Worked fine.
Karl
"Geoff Hodbod" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a hinge on the temple rod of a pair of spectacles that is
broken. I think that it is spot welded on. Is there some kind of
fairly inexpensive tool that would help me remove this?

I would like to remove this and add a fresh hinge. I think that the
frames are some kind of nickel alloy. I was thinking of using this

"Silberfix" hard solder 62% Ag without Cd that has a melting point of
650 C and is suitable for bronze,nickel, stainless steel.

Do you think this would be tough enough? Is there some inexpensive
device that will allow you to solder at 650C?

I found this:
http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr1664.html
would this do?

And advice welcome. Thank you