Old November 28th 04, 01:55 PM
Alison in OH

Default Back of the work

On 2004-11-27 18:44:33 -0500, Lucretia Borgia
said:

Unfortunately, while I mentioned elsewhere in this thread that I didn't
mind the fractional stitches, it's beginning to annoy me that there's
no way to get a perfect vertical when I'm dealing with the odd quarter-
or three-quarter stitch! Augh!

Don't obsess about the backs. Once a piece is framed, the back won't
be seen--unless you're the nutter who framed his piece with an open
(glassed-over) back. The only times a neat back come even close to
being important is when you're doing two-sided work, or work with
backs that might be seen, even if only unintentionally, such as
bellpulls and afghans. Turning a piece over to look at the back is,
to me, comparable to asking to see my undies. 'Tain't none o' your
beeswax!!

I used to ask about the backs of work every time I took a course with
a designer. The answer was exactly as yours Darla, it only matters if
there is a chance that it shows. The only other requirement is that
it not be such a rat's nest as to make it lumpy. Beyond that, at
least five top line designers who stitch beautifully as well and also
the Royal School of Needlework felt it was too anal for words.
Mine are neat, do not carry threads long distances (unless they can be
woven) and are perfectly satisfactory. I have a life that does not
include the back of my needlework!

Too anal for words? But that's half the fun!

In all honesty, the back of this my first piece is very, very far from
being suitable for public inspection. My back-consciousness usually
boils down to preferring a longer vertical or horizontal carry over a
shorter diagonal one -- but the diagonals win out sometimes too. The
fun comes in when achieving that little thrill of working a handful of
stitches in some awkward order and having them come out with only short
verticals. Mini-Happy-Dance!

-Alison (in OH)