Old April 10th 09, 08:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Default How to melt a penny

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
Abrasha wrote:
Muso wrote:

It is illegal to melt pennies.

So, why are you going out of your way to explain how to melt a penny?

BTW, your method results in a zinc contaminated copper melt, unsuitable
for use in gold alloys.

Well, while I cannot vouch for anyone's manipulation of US coins (and
more particularly paper currency) it's my understanding that melting,
stretching, cutting,soldering, etc. would only be illegal if it were
proven to be for 'fraudulent' purposes. Of course, it doesn't mean you
couldn't get arrested, held or otherwise inconvenienced. But i doubt
melting any of our coins is illegal.

Now making a mold and CASTING them........yeah, that's probably going to
get you put in PMITA prison.

Carl

Talking of faking coinage of the realm, a lot of that goes on .
Our local post office, regularly gets lead 1 pound coins brass plated.
Obviously made by someone in his dinner time at a brass plating works,
in the Midlands. UK.
As to making real fakes, there not cast of course, there minted between
dies.
Thats easy , if you have all the right minting machinery.
I get asked to do that quite often, however, it doesnt add up.
It costs over £2.00 to make a £1.00 coin.
Then theres the die costs.
IF you could get your art modeller to make the resin negatives, then
get you die maker to cut the dies then get them hardened, there are too
many folk in this production chain to be paid to keep quiet, and /or
who want protection money!!.
Then if you went to any shop with 100 coin to pay for something paying
in all coin looks suspicious.
What does go on is making fake medieval coin. There put in a tray of old
coin at coin and medal fairs and the unsuspecting collector will "find"
it andask how much. that way you might get say £3.00 for a brass fathing
It still doesnt cover the overall costs of doing it.
There was a fashion many yrs ago of putting half sovereign coins in rings.
These were made in copper gold plated. Usually worn by gypsyfolk or
travellers.
To make it pay printing money is probably the way to go.
A friend and I at a fair offered a genuine £5.00 note for £4.00.
It was on offer ALL day!! hundredsof folk looked at it
and it didnt sell. We had a lot of fun with that.
Eventually it did sell to a sharp business man who saw what we were doing.
We let it go of course.
Have a nice Easter.
Ted
Dorset