Old April 6th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Default Irons, again...

I looked on Amazon. One of the irons said Westinghouse made by Salton, the
others said made by Westinghouse. Seems like most brands are made by
someone else now. A sewing machine dealer told us the other day that there
are only about 3 sewing machine manufacturers and that they make the
machines for everyone!

I have an older Rowenta Sew 'n' Press (not one of the heavy, heavy ones)
that works fine until the water level gets really low and then it starts
spitting all over the place. I've had it long enough that it is probably
going to die one of these days. The water tank in it is pretty small and
has to be refilled much too often.

I bought an Oliso (along with two friends - we took all three irons back).
The Olisos don't get hot enough and they don't put out nearly enough steam.
Oliso replaced mine - the replacement wasn't any better than the original
one. Most recent was the one I bought at Penneys that didn't get hot at
all. So, I'm back using the old Rowenta, but keep looking for something
else.

Donna in (SW) Idaho

"Mickie Swall" wrote in message
It stays on for a full 15 minutes idle in an upright position, 30
seconds lying down, before shutting off. It doesn't take long to heat
up again, maybe 30 seconds. It only takes about a minute or two from
a cold start to heat up to the hottest setting. The colors change
when the temperature drops while ironing, but it seems to still be hot
throughout. I do know that when I unplug it, it takes a looooong
time to cool down. My DH tells me the ceramic soleplate (not metal)
holds the heat longer.

Silly me, I'm going back today to go get another one to keep in stock
in case this ever breaks down. I got it at Linen n' Things, $39.99,
on sale $10 off, less another $8 for the 20% coupon, so with tax it
was only around $25 and that's a bargain. I called the store to find
out this model was discontinued in last January and they have no more
in the warehouse, though they can order me one from another store.
That's even more reason for me to get another - it's one of those laws
that manufacturers discontinue the good stuff! LOL I did find a few
online, the cheapest one is at Fingerhut.---
http://www.fingerhut.com/ProductGrou...52&ref=feature

Now, how is it that this iron been around for two years and none of us
has discovered it?

Mickie