Old December 1st 04, 11:13 AM
Deborah M Riel

In article ,
JM wrote:

It would be nice to know how others speed up the drying process - I have
even been told of placing ware on top of a firing kiln to speed things up.
I know some of you are lucky enough to live in warmer climate, and so have
no probs drying out.

JM

Where I do my work, we have a dry box--a closet with heat lamps and
shelves in it. If you leave your pieces in there for just a short
while they'll firm up a bit. I try *not* to use it very often. My
preferred method of drying is to put the piece on a board and wrap in
plastic (like the kind from a drycleaner). In a day or so, I might
loosen up the plastic a bit, or if I'm working at home, I'll take the
plastic off for a little while, then wrap it back up again.

I've found that drying slowly is much better for the piece than drying
quickly, and that certain clay bodies (like porcelain) develop drying
cracks easier than other clay bodies.

Deb R.