Old November 30th 04, 12:58 PM
Bob Masta

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:04:29 GMT, "JM" wrote:

HI Bob,
I do use the gun on the interior also..I dont just use on the outside. But
I dont hold it close; so it has more the same effect as a warm cupboard
would have. My ex pottery tutor used to heat his stuff up soooo much it
used to positively steam and he had no probs!
Hope this helps to clarify.
Thanks
JM

By interior I mean within the clay itself, below the surface,
not the inner surface of a pot. You are shrinking the skin
but not the guts. Cracks are the expected outcome.
I don't think it's safe to assume too much from the fact
that others get away with this, since technique and temperature
may make a great difference. You are assuming that since
you are using low temperatures, you should be less likely
to have problems. But that means that to get any given
amount of surface drying you are probably penetrating
deeper than a hot, rapid technique. That may be working
against you.

Just try a few pieces with normal drying, and see if the
problem goes away.

Best regards,

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom