Old September 18th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jean

Default Swaps

I'd love to participate in a bug jar fabric swap. I have had one on my "to
do" list. I think it would be fun.

Jean in MI

"Kate G." wrote in message
. ..
I hosted a swap for "candy jar" fabrics not too long ago. I want to make
(it's still not done... but on the TO DO list... The problem is ... you
need a wide variety of specialized fabrics (candy type) but only SMALL
pieces of each one. Even less than a fat quarter! So by doing a swap -- I
got 15 - 20 people who each found ONE candy fabric... cut it up in to
squares (I think they were 8 inches by 10 inches) and they all mailed them
to me. Then I dealt them out like cards... and we still all paid only for
" 1 yard" -- but that one year was comprised of 15 - 20 different fabrics!

That is a "centralized" swap -- where everybody sends their stuff to one
person who shuffles it up and returns it to the participants. Each person
sends a preaddressed - -prepostaged return envelope. That way the hostess
isn't out any additional cost -- only her time. I frequently -- generous
swappers include a nice little thank you gift for taking the time and
trouble to coordinate the swap.

Does that make sense? I've never done a swap that wasn't "centralized".
And I'm actually thinking of doing another one soon... this one for "BUG
JAR" fabrics.!!! I will if there is at least a dozen people who would
want to participate. Another one I want to do is "bird seed" fabrics --
anything that looks like it could be bird seed -- that one may be harder
to come up with fabrics... I need to do a little homework to see how many
different fabrics like that there are out there.

Anyhow -- that's what a swap is like!

Kate in MI

"biz_e_momma" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, all!

I've been lurking for a while and have really enjoyed all that I've
learned from you guys.

My questions are about swaps. I've never participated in one and don't
know how they work or how to find one. What are some of the swaps you
guys participate in? How does the block of the month swap work and how
do I sign up?

Thanks!

Erika in Texas