Old June 28th 10, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Default Siver Soldering/Brazing

Ray Field wrote:
Hi this is my first post to this news group, my usual site is metalworking,
but in this case my problem is closer to jewellery so hopefully some one
here can help.
I have a sporran belt made of pierced sterling silver plates approx 1 mm
thick , 17 wide by 27 mm long. The plates are connected by 5 mm dia rings
soldered/brazed the ends of the plates and linked with solid rings 10 mm in
diameter.
One of the smaller rings has come adrift from the plate, due to a partial
solder /braze joint that failed probably when caught on something.
I know that I can take it to a jeweller for repair but being a hands - on
type I would like to try this myself.
How difficult is this repair? What solder and flux is required, and what is
a good source for material. What heat source is required?
Looking at the other plates on the belt I note at least 12 more rings that
do not have a complete fillet at the joint.
I have silver soldered other pieces in the model engineering and hobby
fields, but that was brass,copper, and steel, but never silver or this
small.
Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.
Ray

Hi Ray,
Sounds as tho it needs a complete overhall,
You say its sterling silver,
now is it hall marked?
judging by your spelling jewellery in the UK way,
you might be over this side of the pond.
So theres a good chance it is.
This means its worth quite alot
so its too risky to just try it and see.
Youd be soldering a small item to a large one,
not easy at the best of times.
You will need
hallmarking grade solder,
at least easyflo flux,
an oxygen and propane setup,
some where to pickle it after brazing
and possibly polishing it all so it matches,
as well as somewhere suitable to do it all,
I suggest you try and find a working silversmith
and get a price to do it for you
before you start to get together the above items.

NowIf you do decide to do it yourself
having put together the above kit,
Id advise you make up at least 3 matching pieces and rings in copper or
brass
just to get your hand in so to speak.
Keep practicing till you can get it right with ease.
before you tackle the silver.
Your probably used to solder in wire form
Thats a bit too crude.
you really need it in foil form
and put a small snippet between the ring and the plate
so you only use enough solder to make a neat fillet.
Use plenty of flux, to keep the joint area free of oxide
as well as preventing fire stain in the whole piece

Let us know what you think.

Ted
Dorset
UK.