Old December 18th 11, 11:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Kirsten Watson

Default Darn it!

In article ,
Joy Beeson wrote:
It would appear that there are enough lurkers on this newsgroup to
hold a conversation after all -- all it needs is for each of us to
start a thread.

So -- do your hand-knits get worn enough to require repair? If so,
what is your favorite method?

I have picked up stitches and knit new toes onto socks, but I've never
done the bit where you ravel a hole rectangular, pick up stitches and
knit a patch, then weave it in at the top and edges. Does anyone here
know whether it works?

I have done that, and it did work, but the thing that mostly gets worn
into disuse is my mittens, and it only works a couple of times. Still,
it gets me an extra couple of years use out of them. I need to make me
more mittens now.

What do you use for darning wool? I still have a little Medici, and
right now I'm using spun silk (Gueterman sewing thread) to darn a pair
of wool slacks.

I only darn handknitted stuff, so I use the same yarn I used in the
first place. For children's trousers that go through at the knees, I
just cut them down into shorts, lazy I know, and tights get turned into
toy stuffing or fingerless gloves.

Kirsten